Little gems of pure happiness!
We often see these gorgeous treats in fancy cake shops or as part of decoration on a beautiful looking cake.
Well as a macaroon lover, I thought I’d have my first attempt at making some of my own… they can’t be that hard can they?!
I knew we had some family coming over, so I thought as a nice treat to go with their coffee I’d make some chocolate and nutella macaroons. The method is rather easy (which surprised me) and they didn’t take long at all – admittedly I only made 12 macaroons on this occasion, but the actual process doesn’t take long at all! They went down swimmingly, I can see myself whipping this up all the time now – I can’t wait to experiment with colours, flavours and decorations! Watch this space!
My recipe is shown below, don’t miss out any steps as all are very important for the perfect macaroon!
Chocolate and Nutella Macaroons
Total Time: 45 minutes Makes 12
88g Icing sugar
29g Cocoa powder
84g Ground almonds
2 large egg whites
50g Caster sugar
For the filling:
100g Soft butter
50g Icing sugar
1 tbsp milk
2 tbsp Nutella
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper and preheat the oven to 160C. Mix together the icing sugar, cocoa powder and ground almonds. Put the mixture through a sieve and place to one side.
- In a separate bowl, whisk your egg whites until forming soft peaks. Gradually continue whisking whilst you add in the caster sugar little at a time. When the mixture is shiny and thick its ready.
- Combine half of your dry mixture in with your egg whites and caster sugar, cutting and folding until all combined. Pour in the remaining dry mixture and combine fully until its shiny and has a ribbon like texture.
- Next, fill your piping bag with the mixture and pipe 3cm circles onto your baking sheets (they can be any size you wish – aim to have all roughly the same). Once all your mixture has gone, leave at room temperature for 15 minutes to form a slight skin. When this has form – put into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Whilst they are cooking, in a large mixing bowl whisk together all your filling ingredients to form a nutella buttercream.
- Once cooking time is up, sandwich together using the filling and taadaa you have made your macaroons!