So my cousin announced that she was coming over on Sunday around 11am and ‘expected breakfast!’ This is typical her, a bit like me, always thinking about food!
11am, slightly awkward time isn’t it? It’s too late for breakfast but too early for lunch so brunch it would be! My only issue with brunch is I’m starving around 3pm, so I find myself snacking until dinner time! Annoying, but it’s a Sunday so what the hell!!
Now, she – my cousin, Molly, will be running the Brighton marathon in April in memory of our fantastic Grandad. Given the imminent timing I was very much doubting she been keen on the idea of fry up (although, as much as we deny it, everyone loves a traditional English fry up) so I thought I’d do a little experimenting a make some egg muffins.
I looked in the fridge and pulled out some bits and pieces that were left over from mid week meals – cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, rocket, chorizo etc
I grabbed my muffin tin and began to concoct something that I had no idea of what the outcome would be… Well it was AMAZING. I was delivered full blown 5 stars from Molly!
The egg muffins had a runny yoke and delicious flavouring from the juices of the chorizo. Perfect brunch material!
Here’s my recipe, feel free to add anything you fancy, just make sure they are too jam packed as you don’t want your egg to overflow!
Total time : 25 minutes
Makes 6 muffins
2 handfuls of rocket
24 fine slices of Chorizo
6 tsp small mozzarella cubes
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Set your oven to 180c, greaseproof your muffin tin.
2. Place a small handful of rocket into each muffin hole and press down gently to create a ‘base’.
3. Next, layer 4 chorizo slices around the edge of each muffin hole and fill with a tsp of mozzarella and 2 halves of cherry tomato. Do this for each muffin hole until all 6 are filled.
4. Carefully crack an egg into each of the muffin holes and season to your liking.
5. Place the muffin tray into the oven for 12 minutes if you like your yoke runny or 15 minutes if you prefer a harder yoke.
6. Once ready, carefully removed from the muffin tray and serve with either a handful of rocket or on toast – the choice is totally yours!