I love my Mum to the moon and back times a trillion, as I am sure everyone else does (there own Mum obviously, not mine – although if you met her I’m sure she’d catch a little place in your heart). I think it’s great that we have a special day each year to celebrate all the hard work and efforts our Mum’s (and Dad’s) put into helping us all achieve our dreams.
However, I am a big believer that every day should be special for our Mum’s and they should be treated like the Queen’s they are. I try my hardest to do this and don’t get me wrong, I have bad days where I snap at my Mum for something minimal or irrelevant, but I try to make my Mum to feel special every day – it means a lot to me.
So, my mum is addicted to sugar – there is no way I can sugarcoat it (excuse the pun) it’s a fact! She’d eat sweets all day long if she could and she’s not fussy, any sweet will do! A few weeks back my Mum decided to give up sugar (bad, naughty sugar) and I have to take my hat off to her… she’s doing AMAZING! She hasn’t had one sweet, biscuit or dessert! I’m insanely proud, not only because she’s my Mum and anything she achieves I clearly think is fantastic but, her will power and determination has shone through! Go Mum!
For Mother’s Day I’ve made these beautiful meringue kisses 💋. Surely she can have a sugary treat on this day!
The recipe is below, you can use any food colouring you like – even make a mixture if you want to show off your skills!
Time to Make: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 75g icing sugar
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 tsp strawberry jam or your Mum’s favourite
- red food colouring gel or your Mum’s favourite colour
- 3 medium egg whites, at room temperature
- Line two baking trays with baking paper. Heat oven to 120C.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, using electric beaters (if you have one). Combine the two sugars in a separate bowl and add about a third of the mixed sugars, until totally combined and stiff. Slowly add the remaining sugar until you have a glossy meringue that holds stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl, mix together your chosen jam and food colouring.
- Pop your piping bag inside out (I usually put mine into a pint glass and fold over the edge to allow me to reach inside), using a spoon paint three lines of your coloured jam mixture from the top to almost the end of the bag. Pop your meringue mixture into the bag once your lines are drawn and twist the end to close.
- Holding the bag vertically over the tray, apply enough pressure to create a base, then quickly draw the bag upwards to create little points. You will see a striped pattern created in the meringue from the jam.
- Put in the oven for 1 hour – try not to open the door as this may cause them to crack. Leave to cool in the oven with the door closed for as long as possible.
- When ready to eat, serve with whatever your Mum like. Fresh fruit, cream, ice-cream etc.
Happy Mother’s Day ❤